The most accessible restaurants in the country
Last month, national disability association MEGD asked the public for suggestions on which restaurants are the most disability friendly.
And yesterday, the association announced 14 restaurants which will now receive official approval for good accessibility and an ‘easy access’ sign at the main entrance.
”When we started this initiative, I expected to see three or four restaurant on the list,” says MEGD chairwoman Tóra við Keldu. “Seeing that 14 restaurants have good disability access leaves me with a warm feeling.”
>> SEE ALSO Your most accessible restaurants
The four key criteria for a disability-friendly restaurant are:
• Accessibility – easy access not only into the restaurant but also inside, e.g. access to buffet, menu and payment.
• Toilets – is the toilet easily accessible, spacious and can it be used by people with limited abilities?
• Allergy-friendly foods – does the menu include options for people with allergies such as celiac disease or lactose intolerance?
• Parking – does the restaurant have good disabled parking facilities?
The 14 most accessible restaurants are:
• Glasstovan, Tvøroyri, Suðuroy
• Fjørukrógvin, Vestmanna, Streymoy
• Burger King, SMS, Tórshavn
• Hotel Hafnia, Tórshavn
• Seglloftið, Tvøroyri, Suðuroy
• Hornið, SMS, Tórshavn
• Hotel Runavík, Eysturoy
• Systrar, Norðurlandahúsið, Tórshavn
• Jacqson, Klaksvík
• Matstovan, Hotel Føroyar, Tórshavn
• No.12, Tvøroyri, Suðuroy
• Skeiva pakkahús, Tórshavn
• Silo, Tórshavn
• The Tarv, Tórshavn
Translated by prosa.fo