Growing demand for electricity

09.07.2020 - 16:18
Aktuelt
Growing demand for electricity
The electricity demand continues to grow, although this growth has waned slightly compared to previous years
Public energy supplier SEV’s water power production grew by 13.8 percent year on year in June
 

The total Faroese energy consumption in the first half of this year was 196.5 GWh, which is an increase of 5.4 percent on the same period last year.

This represents the all-time highest electricity consumption over a six-month period, reports public energy supplier SEV.

 >> SEE ALSO Wind can meet half of country’s energy needs

Some 61 percent of the electricity generated in the first six months of the year came from thermal energy, i.e. oil, while the remaining 39 percent came from water, wind or solar power.

Out of this 39-percent total, 26 percent came from water power, 12 percent from wind power and 0.04 percent from solar power.

Partly as a result of technical faults in three wind turbines, wind power production went down by 12 percent in January-June this year compared to the same period last year.

 >> SEE ALSO Green power production reaches new high

Water power production grew by 13.8 percent from 46 GWh in June last year to 52 GWh in June this year. June 2020 saw an average rainfall of 71.3 mm compared to 67.7 mm in June 2019.

Although only 0.04 percent of the total electricity production came from solar power, SEV is optimistic about this relatively new form of energy production in the country.

In June, the new solar farm in Sumba produced electricity for some 77 households, generating 1.97 MWh on the sunniest day in June.

 

Translated by prosa.fo

 
Nýggjastu sendingar í ÚV
Nýggjastu sendingar í SV
Mikudag 5. august
Tíðindafundur og Dagur og vika
111992
Hósdag 30. juli
Midnáttarsangur
111814
Mikudag 29. juli
Upp á gólv
111810
Mikudag 29. juli
Á ólavsøku 2:2
111809
Mikudag 29. juli
Tingið verður sett
111807